Used hot tubs are prevalent throughout the internet and Craigslist but is buying a used hot tub a good idea? In most cases you can buy a used hot tub for fifty cents on the dollar or better which can equate to several thousands of dollars in savings when you consider a new hot tub can cost $5,000-$10,000. Moreover, buying a used hot tub can turn out to be a blessing or a curse depending on the tub. It’s a bit of a crap shoot, however, there are some things that can be considered upfront to help avoid a bad tub purchase.
Here is a list of things to consider before buying a used hot tub. There is a more detailed explanation of these items under our “Used Hot Tub Buyer’s Guide” section
- Make sure it runs
- Inspect for leaks
- Look for corrosion
- Make sure cover isn’t waterlogged
- Look for a good brand
- Avoid a hot tub brand with proprietary parts
- Understand that warranties do not transfer
- Look for synthetic cabinet as opposed to wood
- Inspect for shell damage
- Ask for maintenance records
Where do you find used hot tubs for sale? Below are some great places to look if you are buying a used hot tub;
- Craigslist.com – Craigslist is typically the largest local resource for finding a used hot tub in most major cities. There are hundreds of listings to comb thru with hot tubs in various brands, shapes, and sizes. Now-a-days there are even swim spa available on the used market.
- Newspaper Classifieds and Online Classifieds – Sellers are less inclined to use newspapers or less frequented online classifieds, however, it’s wise to browse these resources as well since the occasional gem can be found.
- Hot Tub Stores or Hot Tub Service & Repair Companies – We are big advocates for buying used hot tubs from hot tub stores and service companies. There are several reasons for this recommendation. First, these companies typically inspect and test the used spas they sell. Second, they typically replace bad components and fix issues with the hot tub before they sell them. Third, they handle the delivery and placement of the hot tub for you and many times include it in their price. Fourth, they typically give the hot tubs a warranty ranging from 30-180 days which gives a buyer some assurance that they will be taken care of if the hot tub fails or has problems. Hot tubs sold by dealers or service company may be slightly more expensive than a used hot tub on Craigslist but the peace of mind is well worth it.